Lead ads serve as the best way to run lead generation campaigns on Facebook and Instagram. Lead ads allow people to show their interest in a product or service by filling out a form in the ad with their details and allowing a business to follow up with them (which depends on the details you have. For instance, you cannot send an email without an email address). You can run Lead Ads in: Facebook, News Feed, Instagram, Instagram stories, Instant Articles, etc. Note that Facebook Lead Ads integration allows you to generate new leads and to enrich your SCV with additional customer data collected through Facebook Lead Ads forms. This enables you to increase your customer base or to leverage collected data for omnichannel personalization.
Watch this short introductory video about this feature:
- Acquisition of retargeted lead ads
- Acquisition of look-alike audiences
- Custom questions for actionable queries (preferred appointment slot, shoe size, etc.)
- Retargeting to target specific customers to gather additional information about them
- Facebook reduces drop-offs by prefilling the form with data from a person's Facebook profile, and making it easy for her/him to submit their information.
- Lead ads are delivered to people who are likely to complete and submit your lead ad form
- A business can gather contacts and additional information for campaigns from ads without prospects visiting their website.
If you want to read more about Facebook Lead Ads, you can access the official Facebook business webpage.
The advantage of using Exponea with Facebook Lead Ads is in utilizing typical Exponea functions which otherwise would not have been supported by Facebook.
- Advanced segmentation or prediction from Exponea’s single customer view for Facebook Lead Ads pixel or custom audiences
- A/B testing via Facebook Lead Ads pixel or custom audiences
In other words, Leads will allow for an advanced segmentation of audience/customers, which can be used for further targeted campaigns.
Using Facebook Leads Correctly
For correct functionality, an instance needs to have a FB app set-up with correct permissions. For private instances this might not work unless the approval process is completed.
Another requirement is to have at least one Facebook page under the FB account the integration is created with.
First of all, the user needs to be both Project admin in Exponea and needs to be the admin for the Facebook page which uses the Facebook Lead Ads. Once this condition is met, follow these steps:
- Go into data & assets -> integrations
- Create a new Facebook Lead Ads integration
- In the integration, authenticate with a Facebook login
- Select the page to be used for gathering leads from the dropdown
- OPTIONAL: Select the data mapping to assign leads to the correct ID
- Click Save
Note, that if you do not select data mapping (you leave the field blank), the program will generate a new anonymous cookie. However, if you choose to map program IDs, you can do it via
work phone; all gathered via your customer responses. Therefore, we suggest to make all ID-mapped fields mandatory in your lead ads.
After the integration is saved, all leads from all lead ads for the specific page will be gathered as events into the project.
One page can be integrated only into one project.
If you want to learn more about how to create forms to acquire leads and integrate the lead form data with your customer system, you can access the official Facebook E-learning Course..
- Copy all of the standard Lead Gen Form fields as event properties of the facebook_lead event with a type of standard_form.
- Each custom question will be its own facebook_lead event with a type of custom_question. These events will have attributes question and answer respectively.
- Copy form_name, form_id, page_name, page_id from integration.
- There will be lead_id for each individual lead response.
- Timestamp will be taken from created_time of a lead.
- Customer mapping for ID will be done in the integration
- Event type will be facebook_lead.
form_name: "My Form",
page_name: "My Page",
full_name: "Martin Mrkvicka",
street_address: "Street 23",
job_title: "My job title",
company_name: "My company name",
gender: "non binary"
In general terms, you are going to create one event for each question, the same way as each custom question is going to have an independent event.
Facebook Lead Ads offers the option to create custom disclaimers. These custom disclaimers are transferred into Exponea as
facebook_lead events with the
type attribute equal to
disclaimer_response and you can transform them into consent events in your project.
Field value example
Your Page Name
Your Form Name
Name of disclaimer question
Checkbox_keycontains the name of the disclaimer the user is agreeing to
Is_checkedcontains the information about whether the user agrees or disagrees with the disclaimer (boolean true/false)
Exponea uses a strict pre-defined consent event structure. You can use
facebook_lead event type
disclaimer_response to create these consent events by:
- Creating an on-event triggered scenario with an add-event node for consent accept/reject.
You can learn more in the article on Scenarios.
- Creating a scheduled import from the Exponea report which uses
facebook_leadevents as the source.
You can learn more in the Imports article.
Read more about Consent Tracking article.
- (Basic) Automated follow-up on acquired Facebook leads: e.g. sending a welcome message with a discount on their first purchase.
- (Advanced) Use first-party data to create predictions for custom audiences to target with FB Leads Ads. For example, predict which of your customers have the highest probability to subscribe and target them with your Facebook Lead Ads enabling them to do so easily.
- (Advanced) Use Exponea to identify customers with the highest probability to purchase/CLTV, feed them to Facebook and create look-alike audiences for your Facebook Leads Ads campaign. Target them with a specific welcome campaign to increase the chance of converting them.
- (Advanced) Use Facebook Lead Ads to ask your customers what type of incentive motivates them to purchase (discounts, free delivery, gifts, a tree planted for every item purchased). Based on the answers collected via Facebook Lead Ads, run predictions in Exponea to find which customers from your customer base would answer similarly. This will enable you to target each of your customers with the incentive with the highest probability of conversion.
Updated 4 months ago